Tu Lan Cave 1 day
Explore the untamed jungle and limestone mountain region of Tu Lan Cave System on our one-day Tu Lan Jungle & Cave Experience.
With your English-speaking guide and local jungle man from the nearby ethnic village of Tan Hoa, you will trek up to 8km through buffalo fields, dense jungle and have an opportunity to swim through an unbelievable river cave.
See the impressive Hung Ton Cave and To Mo Valley before trekking to Hang Chuot (Rat Cave), with its impressive formations.
You’ll get wet, you’ll get dirty and you’ll enjoy an awesome BBQ beside a stunning waterfall! This is a full day of adventure so be prepared!
This tour is to give you a taste of Tu Lan, but if you really want the ultimate adventure we encourage you to spend the night in the jungle on our Tu Lan Cave Encounter (2 days) or add another night camping in a cave on our Wild Tu Lan Cave Explorer (3 days)!
$93 usd per person
Day 1: Phong Nha > Tan Hoa > To Mo > Tan Hoa > Phong Nha (L)
Start your day with pick-up from your guesthouse in Phong Nha between 8:00am and 8:30am (please be ready!).
You’ll then drive 70 kms over the Da Deo Mountain Pass to reach the ethnic minority village of Tan Hoa and the Oxalis Headquarters.
After a safety briefing and gear check the days adventure begins with a 2 km walk across peanut and buffalo fields to reach the Rao Nan River.
After crossing the river you’ll climb your first mountain, an old jungle cow trail through the thick jungle (1.5 km).
You’ll then cross Hung Ton Valley through the thick scrub and one more small river crossing to reach Hung Ton Cave. Explore this wild cave by descending a 15 m ladder with safety harness before swimming 50 m through the cave and underground river to reach To Mo Valley, where a delicious BBQ lunch will be awaiting you.
After swimming at the waterfall trek over Hung Ton Mountain (1 km), across Hung Ton Valley (500 m), and another small hill down to Rao Nan River (500 m).
Here you’ll cross the jungle (400 m) to reach the impressive Hang Chuot (Rat Cave) to explore its massive formations for up to 200 m.
You’ll finish the day crossing back over the Rao Nan River, peanut and buffalo fields (2.5 km) to the Oxalis Headquarters, where a cold drink and shower will be awaiting your return.
Depart Tan Hoa at 17:00 and return to Phong Nha at 18:30 and you will be dropped at your guesthouse.
- Easy (8 kms) for physically active guests (swimming is necessary)
- Daily excluding Sunday
- 4-12 people
- Professional English speaking tour guide
- Porter to prepare meals and pump water
- Tent, camp light, sleeping bag
- Caving & safety gear, Helmet, headlights and gloves
- Dry bag (for personal belongings)
- Basic canvas trekking boot
- First aid Kit
- Katadyn (swiss made) water purifier & water bottle
- Eco-friendly compost toilet, using western toilet seats
- Meals (L= lunch)
- Personal expenses
Things to bring
- Your Passport
- Swimming gear and a medium sized towel
- Small Backpack for personal belongings
- Wide-brimmed hat
- Calf long socks (not ankle socks)
- Rain Poncho
- Reliable insect repellent
- Camera and lots of batteries
- Please recheck your ID(s).
- If you are showing a private album, check that the "Retrieve Photos From" option is set to "User's Private Album" and that the Authorization Key is correct.